How to remove duplicate files from Google Drive?
Last Updated : | Wide Angle Software
To remove duplicate files from Google Drive using Duplicate Sweeper, follow these steps...
- Set up the Google Drive app on your PC.
- Open Duplicate Sweeper and click "Add Folder".
- Locate and select your Google Drive folder, or a specific folder within the drive that you wish to scan. Click OK.
- Click "Start Duplicate Search".
- Review the reported duplicates and mark the files that you want to remove.
- Hit "Recycle Selected Duplicates" and then confirm that you wish to remove the selected duplicates.
Download Duplicate Sweeper
Detailed walkthrough steps:
You can use Duplicate Sweeper to find and remove duplicate files stored in your Google Drive storage.
- You'll firstly need to ensure that your computer is synced with your Google Drive account. Download and install the Google Drive 'Backup and Sync' app from below. If you are using PC, the download includes Google Sheets, Google Slides and Google Docs, so you'll be able to edit your Drive files on your computer.
Download Google Drive Now
- Next, run the downloaded installer which will take you through the necessary steps that you need to do to complete the install on your computer. Once the install is complete, the setup Wizard will open automatically. The Wizard will prompt you to enter your Google account information and to *sync your Google Drive files to a folder on your computer*.
- At the end of the Wizard, click Done. Google Drive will now be active on your computer, and will have created a folder called Google Drive. This folder will contain all of your synced data from your Google Drive Storage account.
- Launch Duplicate Sweeper and click Add Folder. If you'd like to scan your entire Google Drive for duplicates, select the Google Drive folder (by default, this is located in your user folder area). Alternatively, you can find this folder in Windows File Explorer, and drag and drop it into Duplicate Sweeper. Click OK to add the folder.
- Now click the "Start Duplicate Search" button in the top-right corner of Duplicate Sweeper.
- Duplicate Sweeper will now scan the folder and return a list of any duplicate files it has found. Tick the files in each group that you wish to remove, or press the "Keep All Newest Files" to automatically select the oldest files to remove. More selection preferences can be found under the Duplicates tab of the Duplicate Sweeper toolbar.
Our Duplicate Sweeper tutorial video, goes through the steps of finding and removing duplicates using Duplicate Sweeper.
Any Questions? Contact a member of our support team at our helpdesk.
Back to Duplicate Sweeper Support